If you are looking for a winter getaway with fun for the whole family consider staying at Blue Mountains Resort in Ontario, Canada. Traditionally a ski resort it has expanded over the years into a small village with activities for all ages.
Blue Mountains Resort is located in Collingwood, Ontario, about a 1.5 hour drive north of Toronto. It is close to Wasaga Beach and borders Georgian Bay. At the base of the Blue Mountains is a development called “The Village”. It is a quaint resort area with lodging, shops, restaurants and lots of activities going on all year round. Some of the activities that can be enjoyed in the wintertime are:
- Gondola rides up to the top of the mountains
- Skiing and snowboarding for all ages (including beginner lessons and private lessons)
- Plunge! Aquatic Centre – A centre with indoor pools, slides, and hot tubs
- Indoor tennis courts
- Horse drawn wagon rides
- Live bands and music in the village
When planning your trip you can view the event schedule at Village at Blue. While the indoor aquatic centre seemed overpriced for what it was, our kids enjoyed it the most. When we visited Blue Mountains Resort the Village had a scavenger hunt on for kids. They also enjoyed trying to solve all the clues for the scavenger hunt (which came with a little prize at the end), and riding the gondola up to the top of the mountains. Our youngest, at only one year of age, was thrilled to simply run around the village centre and play with a giant chess set that was set up there (the chess pieces were the same size as him).
For lodging there are many options in the area, but I recommend staying within walking distance of the village so you can enjoy the activities there. We stayed at the Westin Trillium House which was across the pond in the Village. It was an excellent place to stay. The rooms were modern, clean and had a fully-equipped kitchen with a dining area. They have competitive rates and we were able to get the lowest rate with our CAA/AAA membership.
- If staying multiple nights, you can buy breakfast and lunch supplies from either the Village Market or the nearby grocery stores and prepare something in your room for the family.
- The indoor aquatic centre has “high tide” and “low tide” hours. You can enjoy the pool for almost half the price if you go during “low tide” hours. Check out their website for rates.
- The Firehall Pizza Co. was a great restaurant to have dinner with the kids. It is modelled after a fire hall and had much paraphernalia to keep children occupied. The kids menu also had many options to satisfy young palettes.
With all it has to offer, the Blue Mountains Resort is a great family getaway for a short trip or long weekend.