Mr. CajunMama recently expressed a desire for a daddy weekend, since I like to take my own soul-oh trips and girlfriend getaways. I enlightened him that the proper word in today’s terminology is mancation. He laughed so hard and said he hoped it isn’t anything like metrosexual. So, in our household a mancation is still referred to as a daddy weekend.
Here are some of our top picks for a Southern mancation where daddies can travel with the guys for a long weekend:
10. Beale Street in Memphis, TN – The Amtrak station manager in Hammond, LA, mentioned to me that many guys get together and take the train up to Memphis on a Friday night and come back on the early Sunday train. The barbecue and blues clubs entice groups of guys to travel for a fun weekend.
9. Mississippi Gulf Coast – The beach and casinos are back in business after Hurricane Katrina. Guys can travel and lose money for a good cause.
8. Outer Banks, SC – Hang-gliding at Kitty Hawk and a kayak trip add some adventure to any mancation.
7. Grand Isle, LA – Locals call this the Cajun Bahamas. Many a mancation has been spent deep sea fishing from this destination. Due to the BP Oil Spill visitors may need to check fishing reports, but keep in mind that the Abita Beer is waiting on ice for you.
6. Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail – Golf mancations are a hit. Guys travel from course to course and play the links.
5. Kentucky Bourbon Trail – This stretch of two-lane highway is also a great place for guys to lay back and enjoy the bourbon.
4. New Orleans, LA – Bourbon Street. Need I say more?
2. Florida Keys – Ernest Hemingway and Jimmy Buffet knew a good place when they came across the Florida Keys. Pick a key, any key.
1. SEC Road Trip – This was the number one pick from an LSU freak (Mr. CajunMama).